Aug 10, 2009

Weekend at Fontana: a report from Martin Cox:


Started off Saturday morning with the Downhill event. However, on my second practice run I broke a chain but was able to get it fixed in time for additional practice runs. I started the race as the only full on cross-country racer in the pro downhill field. After the first run I found myself in 2nd place with a time of 3:40 with the leader having an impressive 3:32. On the second run I was a little smoother and faster and almost won with a time of 3:33 - not good enough to win but gave me a secure second. All in all it was a great event and a good way to be known as one of the best technical riders in the southeast.

Saturday night was short track, which started off blistering fast and after about 4-5 minutes I found myself pushing really hard in a 4-man break. Trying to make a smart decision I backed off in hopes of holding 4th and slowly working into third by the end. I held a 4th the whole race and the top 3 surprisingly stayed pretty close together. My decision to hold back was most likely the best decision after a full day of racing and still have the cross-country race the following day.

Cross-country on Sunday started with a small packed field. My goal was to not worry about the speed at first and slowly work into the top 5 by the finish. After the first lap I found myself in 8th place with 2 guys right in front of me. Unfortunately, starting the second lap I got a sidewall tire cut and despite diligent efforts it would not seal. This was really depressing, as top 5 was seemed easily in my reach.

I have elected not to attend Nationals using the Fontana race weekend to evaluate my fitness after experiencing and overcoming some injuries and other issues typical of efforts of competing at the pro level. I am looking forward to these years Florida State Series hosted by Gone Riding and would like to thank BCCFL for the funding assistance that assisted in my opportunity to compete in the final SERC this year at Fontana. Thanks to all that donate to this program.